For some time I wanted to create better feedback (error or alert) when you use cross-domain data (XML, TXT, JPG, FLV, etc.).
The more experienced flash programmer know that this you need a crossdomain.xml.
I wrote a class that would give me feedback…….. and all I got back was a 0 (zero) in Firefox and 404 using IE. Thats a strange bug…. so I started to read the helpfiles a little beter and found this:
A value of 0 can be generated in any player, such as if a malformed URL is requested, and is always generated by the Flash Player plug-in when run in the following browsers, which do not pass HTTP status codes to the player: Netscape, Mozilla, Safari, Opera, or Internet Explorer for the Macintosh.
So that killed the experiment immediately: I can’t have code that only work in IE.